31 March 2010

lemon pez

When I was in university, my friends and I frequented the chain restaurant Perkins, located quite near the uni and open 24 hours, so very useful for post-club eating. For my drink, I got in the habit of ordering Iced Tea. But the Perkins' iced tea was unlike any other iced tea that I had tasted, in that it didn't actually taste like iced tea. And after several months of contemplation, and a Chewbacca pez dispenser, it finally hit me what it did taste like... lemon pez.

Trust me, it was a very exciting (if drunken) moment and I loved the lemon pez iced tea. Sadly enough, it was often the highlight of my night.

I've moved around an awful lot since I was in university, and I don't think I've been to a Perkins since. But I've never forgotten the lemon pez drink. (It was a thing.)

I now live in the UK. There are no Perkins and most people I speak to think the idea of iced tea is absolutely disgusting. (flipping traditionalists!) On occasion, if I'm very lucky or if I order my groceries on-line, I can pay 2x what I should for a Lipton Iced Tea.

But then my mother in law found this. I was a little sceptical, but I tried it. It filled that gap of having a nice, non-alcoholic, non-fizzy, cold drink on a hot day. It didn't taste an awful lot like Iced Tea, but I liked it. And it took me a few months to place the taste, but it tastes like lemon pez... or Perkins Iced Tea.