1 March 2010

Stormy Weather

Well, as many of you will know, I love dogs. I really really love dogs and I'd probably have about 15 but unfortunately (and much to my husband's relief) my dog Tia does not care so much for other dogs. So no more dogs for me.

Last summer, I decided to start walking dogs for the local shelter. That way I get to satisfy my desire to play with and walk other dogs and I keep my own dog happy. So I applied and didn't hear anything for ages... I was beginning to think I'd been rejected, but I eventually got called in for an initial chat with the volunteer co-ordinator and here we are four months later, having just gone on my first volunteer dog walk.

Not that I'm complaining, it's only taken so long because the shelter was undergoing a complete renovation and all the dogs have a posh new home... but it did mean for several months they were at reduced capacity and weren't taking any new dog walkers.

I went for my 'induction' session on Saturday and got told all the basics on dog care and what to do if and I even got a tester walk with an adorable little terrier named Skippy.

The first thing I was told when I was given Skippy's lead was to keep her distance from other dogs. No problemo, I'm experienced with that. Of course it's a little more difficult when you're on a guided walk with the trainers from the shelter and 5 other volunteer dog walkers and their dogs. But we managed.

Today was my first solo walk. I went in this afternoon and was assigned Storm, a very boisterous 6 month old Malamute/Husky cross... this was something I was not prepared for.

I think in my head, I imagined walking the shelter dogs as a nice leisurely walk with a bunch of different dogs. I didn't really take into account that all of the dogs would have varying levels of obedience and energy. And now I'm achy and tired and wondering what I got myself into...

Even before I left the shelter, Storm was jumping up on everything, trying to get into everything in the shop and also trying very hard to meet another of the shelter dogs who was about to go on a dog walk and who did not care for other dogs, especially not one who's about 5 times her size.

So lesson number one of volunteer dog walking: pay constant attention to the dogs - i.e. they are not as predictable as my Tia.

We headed out on the walk. The shelter's actually in the next town over from us, so I'm not terribly familiar with the area. The shelter had given us a number of walks we could follow so I just went on one of those.

Storm, being a puppy in a shelter, was extremely excited and boisterous. At one point she nearly tripped me up and as I stumbled, I had visions of me on the ground while the dog ran off into traffic and I got fired as dog walker.

Luckily I managed to get her under control and for the rest of the walk she went from nearly pulling me over trying to sniff something to head butting my leg so hard she nearly knocked me over. She wasn't overly keen on her nose harness, so she was using my leg to try and get it off...

She was also extremely responsive to my corrections and commands and was very eager to please. By the end of the walk, she had a giant grin on her face that reminded me why I'd signed up for this... I love a happy dog!

The one thing that stuck out with Storm was her enthusiasm and excitement. I'm sure that's part puppy excitement, but she was an incredibly friendly dog who wanted to meet everyone she saw and absolutely loved the attention she got from them. I'm pretty sure she won't be at the shelter very long, so I'll have to do my best not to get too attached.

That's my major concern with the dog walking. It's going to be impossible not to get attached to the dogs I walk, but I have to remember that they are just a temporary presence in my life and that I'm giving them a better life while they're waiting for their new family.