1 January 2010

happy new year!

So I guess this is a New Year's Resolution. I really hate that, most resolutions don't last a month, so by calling it that, it feels like I'm dooming myself to failure, but seeing as I haven't started this blog sooner, today seems like the day to get it started.

What it's really all about is that I want to be a writer... I've always wanted to be a writer, it's the only thing that I wanted to be. Sometimes I'd get ideas of what I wanted to do, but they never lasted, writing is the only thing that did.

But somewhere along the way, I got out of the habit of actually writing. I heard recently that to be a writer, all you needed to do was actually write, you didn't need to get published or get an audience or readers, if you write everyday you are a writer. As simple as that? or maybe not.

The next step comes with actually writing everyday. That's where this blog comes in. I will write in it every single day. My goal is an hour a day. No matter what.

So resolution, goal, project, whatever you want to call it, it starts now. Everyday, I will write a post. I don't know what I'll write about, I guess it will be whatever comes out of my fingers when I sit down in the computer. Right now, I'm thinking it could be anything. Essays, short stories, poems (I've never really written a poem, so don't hold your breath), rants, diary entries, I don't know, whatever strikes my fancy on that particular day.

My other New Year's resolution (I'm just going to have to accept that this is what they are), is to stop procrastinating. I don't know why I do it, and it must stop - as simple as that. I procrastinate everything from applying for a job until it's too late to going for a wee (never until it's too late though...). Then, I beat myself up over it.

I even procrastinate my goal to stop procrastinating. I have been thinking about it for the last few months at least, how I need to just sit down and do the job and get it done. Inevitably I decide to start tomorrow. Until just before Christmas, I decided I could wait until the new year... which leads me here today.

Now, I have to actually do it...

see you tomorrow.