10 January 2010

so I missed a few days...

The problem with missing a few days is thinking that I'll catch up. Like today, rather than just write the one post, I'll write 3 so that I've still written the right number of posts, just on the wrong days. Of course, that's not going to happen, and the more I think about it, the less likely I am to write even the one post.

I've also not been meeting my 1 hour quota either. I need to sort this out as well, I think that the first thing I need to do is pick an hour in the day when I can do this. At the moment, I just sit in front of the telly telling myself I'll start it after whatever crap show I'm watching.

I have an incredible appetite for crap television. It often amazes my husband, I can pretty much watch anything. I especially enjoy American sitcoms. I think the thing I like about the American sitcom is that it doesn't challenge you. You get the happy ending without any of the tension or drama first. Sure in plot terms, there's some sort of climax, but not really. There isn't a time when you think it's all in danger.

I'm not sure if it's the formula in the American shows, so you know that there is no chance of the status quo changing, or if it does, it's only for the better. Compared to British sitcoms like the Office, you get your happy ending, but you have to work for it.

I've never seen the American version of the Office. I started to watch it once, and realised that there was no comparing with the original so why waste my time. I think that may be one of the few sitcoms I've not watched at least one episode. I'll give anything a go and even if it's terrible, I'll come back for more... ostensibly because I want to relax and to do that I need to watch something that doesn't challenge me.

One thing I like about the sitcom is that you can pretty much watch a single episode and you don't feel like you're missing anything or you need to watch it again to see what happens. They're complete one-offs.

When I was a child, I used to find things like the lack of continuity in sitcoms very disturbing. Not continuity from scene to scene but from season to season.

If DJ Tanner on Full House had a birthday party on Valentine's day one season, surely she should have a birthday party on the same day every year. I tried to keep track of when things like birthdays of my favourite characters were so I could check to make sure they celebrated the characters birthday on the same day every year. This never worked because I invariably forgot to check.

I would also draw out blue prints of the family's house as I saw it, trying to figure out how all the rooms in the set fit into the house that would be shown at the beginning of the show. I so needed this sitcom world to be real and perfect and I so wanted to be a part of that world where only good things happened and if something didn't go according to plan, it would be sorted in the space of a half an hour.