I've been cooking up a storm today. I got a new recipe book for Christmas so I thought I'd try something. On top of that, we had some fresh spinach to use up so I made a delicious cous cous thing. I ran out of tinned tomatoes and only ended up with half as much as required. This is always how it is with me, I think there's something in the cupboard and then when I go to get it, it's not there. It makes for some creative and interesting cooking and baking. As it was, I made do with 1 tin of tomatoes and it turned out okay, and I definitely know for next time.
I also made falafel. Which was a good idea in theory but fell down a bit in execution. It turns out that chickpeas are quite hard to mash. I used the tinned variety, so maybe if I'd made them from scratch it would have been easier. Next time I'm going to put the chickpeas in the blender... I was also thinking of trying them with sweet potatoes. Sweet potato falafel is really really nice, and hopefully it will serve to bind them together as the ones today were a bit crumbly.
Then after all that, I made puffed wheat cake. Which is my dad's speciality - whenever there's a family gathering or a picnic or a party, people always request my dad's puffed wheat cake. Even when it's a party that my mom's going to and my dad's not, my mom is expected to bring dad's puffed wheat cake.
I've only made puffed wheat cake on my own a handful of times. Why should I bother when my dad's will always be the best. I think the last time I made it was over five years ago. I didn't have a recipe, but when I was little, I used to sit on the counter and watch my dad make it. I think the recipe is ingrained in my memory. Though I suppose I should wait to try the cake before I say that. For all I know, I've completely forgotten something crucial and the cake is ruined.
Now StormChasers is on discovery. It's ridiculous, but immensely entertaining, so I think I'll go watch that.